WARNING:
Expicit Content

Fri, 19th Mar 2010

Internet scam affects Jah Cure - Money collected under false pretence for dubs, shows

Sadeke Brooks, Staff Reporter

Jah Cure

Continuing on a disturbing trend, reggae artiste Jah Cure was a victim of an online scam recently.

His publicist Robert Nesta Morgan said the fraud was detected last week after Jah Cure's manager Delmar 'Della Danger' Drummond received a call.

"Delmar noticed it last week when a promoter from Belize called him asking for the dub that he paid for. Delmar was shocked. He told them to notify the police," Morgan told THE WEEKEND STAR.

He said the perpetrator has been using the social networking website, Facebook, to collect money illegally. Morgan said the crook directed persons wishing to get dubplates, jingles, general info and 45s or make bookings to universaljahcure@live.com, which is an email address that does not belong to Jah Cure.

"Dubs are very expensive and can cost as much as J$1.3 million (US$15,000) depending on the artiste. We know of one person so far. We don't know who else might have been a victim 'cause nobody else has approached us," Morgan said.

"Nothing like this has ever happened with Jah Cure before. All we can do is go to the police. We can't refund what we didn't take."

Since the incident, Drummond, who is also the CEO of Danger Zone Music Group, has issued a statement via his Facebook page.

victim to impersonation

In it he said: "Please note that the Facebook page that uses the email address, universaljahcure@live.com, is a fraud page. It has been brought to my attention that the scammers on this page are trying or have collected monies from potential clients of mine. Please 'only' Danger Zone management or Sobe Ent, along with Caribbean Ent, are authorised to handle Jah Cure's bookings. My sincerest apologies to whomever has fallen victim to this scam."

Morgan said an email was sent to the Facebook owners yesterday reporting the incident. And, the page also disappeared late yesterday evening.

Selector Foota Hype also fell victim to impersonation on Facebook only last month. The person on his fake profile seemed to be collecting money and was also causing other problems.

"I have received calls from foreign, weh people a ask me bout how mi a look dem woman pan Facebook, people calling me bout how must I be putting disrespectful comments about dem on my Facebook page, which I have no idea about because I have no Facebook profile," he told THE WEEKEND STAR.

But Jah Cure and Foota Hype are just the latest victims of Internet fraud. Last year, Twin of Twins and Laden suffered a similar fate on another social networking website, Myspace

Sat, 6th Mar 2010

GET READY FOR BEST OF THE BEST!

 

  Sunday - May 30, 2010              

Bicentennial Park

Miami, Florida

 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Best of the Best Press Office


MIAMI, FLORIDA  - Now a Memorial Day weekend tradition, The Best of the Best International Music Festival returns to North America's favorite holiday hotspot of Miami, Florida and back in its home venue of Bicentennial Park, on Sunday, May 30, 2010.

Best of the Best sets the stage each year as the ultimate showcase of urban music and is presented by Miami-based lifestyle promotions company, JBJ Entertainment. Profiling the stars of Caribbean music - from dancehall, reggae and soca, the festival also thrills fans with the top acts in hip-hop, rap and R&B. Past years have included the likes of Flo Rida, Rick Ross, Diddy, T-Pain, Jeezy, Akon and Wyclef Jean.

 Multi-platinum Grammy-Award winner Shaggy is excited to join this year's incredible lineup, which includes Gucci Mane, Mavado, Serani, Bounty Killer, Baby Cham, Mr. Vegas, Anthony B, Demarco, Gyptian, Tony Matterhorn and the New Kingston Band, just to name a few, with more artists to be added in coming weeks.

"I think Best of the Best is dancehall's premiere concert series," reveals pop reggae superstar Shaggy. "It promotes dancehall to the masses and every year it continues to evolve and set the highest standard in that respect. It's awesome to come back and perform for the holiday crowd this Memorial Day weekend." Shaggy previously headlined the festival back in 2007.

The show takes place at Bicentennial Park, located at 1075 Biscayne Boulevard in downtown Miami. Park gates open at 1:00 pm and show time is set for 1:30pm sharp. The 10-hour event does not end there. Everyone is invited to the official Best of the Best After Party, at Bongos Nightclub (located behind the American Airlines Arena), immediately following the show.

Tickets are now available via Ticketmaster and bestofthebestconcert.com, as well as select locations across Florida and New York City. For more information, log on to www.bestofthebestconcert.com or call 1-305-438-9488. Please direct all press inquires to bestofthepress@gmail.com.

Sun, 21st Feb 2010

Jamaica Int. Kite Festival 2010 APRIL 5 @RICMOND ESTATE ST.ANN Jamaica

 

 

going to Jamaica,this Year 2010,you and your family have to go visit the Kite Competitions,you have to check out Jamaica Int. Kite Festival 2010,one of the biggest show in jamaica,big line  up, and guest performance by :ShAGGY MACKA  DIAMOND FREDDIE MCGREGOR CHINO LADEN GEORGE NOOK,FEEKEZ &VIILA DUTCH,KIPRICH ,

RITCHIE  STEPHENS,ANTHONY CRUZ,I OCATANE CHARLEY BLACK,JUNIOR REID ,KHAGO,LUST,QQ,DADA,WASP. TYRICAL,COPPER CAT,SOPHIA SQUIRE,NEVILLE  LLINDO,BROWN SUGAR,JIMMY RILEY,STACIOUS  

                                           Jamaica Int. Kite Festival 2010 APRIL 5

@RICMOND ESTATE ST.ANN Jamaica

 

Thu, 4th Feb 2010

BUJU BANTON REQUESTS NEW TRIAL DATE

Buju may spend Easter behind bars.

According to court documents filed on Wednesday, Buju Banton and his lawyer David Markus are requesting a delay in the trail.
Buju’s trial is expected to begin on March 1 but the deejay and his lawyer are requesting an April 12 trial date.
Prominent attorney at law, David Rowe explains the motion filed. 
Professor Rowe adds that according to the motion, there are witnesses coming from Jamaica. But this he says has some negative implications for the reggae entertainer. 
So, though both the prosecutor and the defense are requesting an April trial date for the Gargamel, the decision lies with the Federal Judge who has the final say.Buju Banton has been in federal custody since December last year where he is awaiting trial on drug charges.

Buju has pleaded not guilty to the drug charges. 

Wed, 27th Jan 2010

Buju's lawyers claim he was set up; demand details on the police source

Arthur Hall, Senior Staff Reporter

 Reggae superstar, Buju Banton, who has been jailed in the United States since December 10, last year. Lawyers representing dancehall star Buju Banton, real name Mark Myrie, have filed a motion in court demanding the naming of the confidential source who is a key part of the case against the Jamaican. The lawyers are using an entrapment defence as they try to get Buju freed of charges of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute five kilograms or more of cocaine, and aiding and abetting the possession of a firearm during the course of an illegal activity. In court yesterday, the lawyers filed a motion for an order "compelling the government to disclose the identity and location of the confidential informant who was an eyewitness and participant in the events, which are the subject of both counts of the indictment". According to the document filed in the court: "The informant was clearly an active participant in the entire chain of events." Buju's lawyers further argue that: "The facts and circumstances of the confidential sources' contacts with Mr Myrie display a deliberate effort by a paid informant to ensnare a perfect stranger, who happened to be sitting next to him on an international flight, into committing a crime, thereby ensuring the informant more money." First meeting The lawyers claim that the informant first met Buju on a flight from Madrid, Spain, to Miami, Florida, on July 26, 2009 by: "Sheer chance, bad luck or other reason to which the defendant is unaware." According to the lawyers, the police informant spent the next several months trying to convince Buju to purchase cocaine. They note that, in the papers filed in court by the United States Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), there is no mention of any contact between Buju and the informant before December 8, days before he was arrested. "The confidential source is a paid government informant. In addition to refusing to disclose the identity, the government has refused to identify the prior cases in which he has been involved, the outcomes of those cases, the amount of money he has earned making cases for the government, or even the amount he has been paid (or expects to be paid) in this case," said Buju's lawyers in the document obtained by The Gleaner. While citing several legal precedents, Buju's lawyers have also asked the court to direct the prosecution to release all reports that contain the confidential source's alleged conversations with Buju that were not taped or video recorded, and the report(s) summarising what the source claimed were his unrecorded conversations with Buju when they were on that flight. Requesting payment evidence The lawyers are also requesting evidence of all payments made by state and federal law enforcement authorities to the confidential source in this case, and in other cases where the source operated as a paid informant. Buju has been in detention in the United States since December 10 when he was held in Florida after a DEA sting operation, during which his two co-defendants were arrested at a warehouse where they had allegedly gone to buy cocaine. The dancehall star was not at the warehouse at the time the others were arrested, but the DEA claims it has audio and video evidence of the artiste testing a package of cocaine. Buju is being represented by prominent US attorneys David Oscar Markus and Marc David Seitles. He is slated to return to court on February 4 for a status conference before the trial begins in the week of March 1. The DJ will remain in custody while his attorneys manoeuvre.

BACK TO TOP